Having your ATM card blocked can be inconvenient, but it may also be necessary for your protection if your card is lost, stolen, or compromised. If you have a Guaranty Trust Bank (GTBank) account and ATM card in Nigeria, there are a few different ways you can go about blocking your card quickly and easily.
In this comprehensive guide, we will walk through the step-by-step processes to block your GTBank ATM card through USSD, mobile app, and by contacting customer service. We will also provide tips on preventing unauthorized ATM transactions and what to do if your card is blocked.
Benefits of Blocking Your ATM Card
There are a few key benefits to blocking your ATM card:
- Prevents unauthorized withdrawals or transfers – By blocking your card, no one else will be able to use it to withdraw cash or make transfers if it is lost or stolen. This protects your account funds.
- Stops recurring charges – If your physical card number is compromised, blocking the card will stop any recurring payments tied to that card number.
- Gets you a new card – For permanent blocks, GTBank will issue you a new ATM card with a different number for enhanced security after blocking the old one.
- Provides peace of mind – Knowing your card is blocked immediately after noticing it is lost or stolen provides immense relief and assurance.
Blocking a compromised or lost card right away can save you from headaches down the road. Now let’s go over some common situations when you need to block your GTBank ATM card.
When You Should Block Your Card
Here are some circumstances that warrant blocking your GTBank ATM card:
- You lost your card – If you have lost your physical card and cannot find it after retracing your steps, immediately call to block it.
- Your card was stolen – Similarly, if your card was pickpocketed or stolen in any way, promptly contact GTBank to block the card.
- You notice unauthorized withdrawals – If you notice any suspicious, unfamiliar withdrawals from your account on your statement, it’s best to block the card as soon as possible to prevent further fraudulent activity.
- Your card’s chip or strip is damaged – A damaged card chip or magnetic strip can make your card vulnerable to card readers. Get a replacement by blocking the damaged card.
- You need to temporarily disable the card – Sometimes it can be useful to temporarily block your own card if you are traveling and concerned about card fraud and want to re-enable it when you return.
- You want to report a lost or stolen card – Reporting your card lost or stolen always entails blocking the card. GTBank will provide you with a new card number.
Now let’s get into the step-by-step details on how to quickly and easily block your GTBank ATM card through various channels.
How to Block GTBank ATM Card with USSD
GTBank offers a straightforward way to instantly block your ATM card right from your mobile phone using USSD (Unstructured Supplementary Service Data). Here is the process:
- Dial *737*51*74# on your mobile phone.
- Select your language preference by entering 1 for English or 2 for Pidgin.
- Follow the prompts to enter your card number, including the first 6 digits.
- Next, you will be prompted to enter a reason for blocking your card from the following options:
1 – Card lost/stolen
2 – Card retention
3 – Others
- After selecting a reason, you will be asked to input your ATM card PIN.
- Finally, confirm your request to block the ATM card by selecting 1.
- You will get a text message from 353 confirming your card has been blocked after completing the steps.
The entire process takes less than a minute. Calling with USSD is the fastest way to instantly block access to your ATM card account when you are on the go and don’t have internet access.
How to Block GTBank ATM Card on Mobile App
If you have the GTBank mobile app on your smartphone, you can also block your ATM card completely through the app. Follow these instructions:
- Launch the GTBank Mobile App and log in with your username and password.
- Tap on “More” at the bottom right.
- Next select “Card Services”.
- Choose your ATM card. This will bring up your card details.
- Scroll down and tap on “Block Card”.
- Select a reason for blocking the card.
- Finally, tap “Confirm” to block your ATM card.
You will see a message confirming your card has been blocked successfully after completing these steps through the app. It provides a convenient way to block your card 24/7 through your smartphone.
How to Block GTBank ATM Card by Calling Customer Service
You can block your GTBank ATM card by calling their customer service phone line at +234 1 271 5227 or any of their local branch phone numbers during working hours.
Here is the process when calling customer service:
- Call GTBank customer service line or your branch number.
- Select the language preference when prompted.
- Choose the menu option for “Block ATM Card”.
- Provide your account information and card details.
- Explain why you need to block your card.
- An agent will then immediately block the card in the system.
- Take note of any information provided by the agent, such as how long it takes to process or when you will receive a new card.
- You can also let the agent know if you need to place any temporary holds on your account for unauthorized transactions.
- Finally, the agent will provide confirmation once your card has successfully been blocked in their system.
Calling customer service allows you to also inquire about timelines, account holds, and other support for blocking your card. However, keep in mind this option is only available during working hours unlike the always accessible mobile and USSD options.
Tips to Prevent Unauthorized ATM Withdrawals
While blocking your card promptly can help limit losses from unauthorized transactions, it’s also important to take preventative measures to avoid issues in the first place:
- Check your account activity frequently – Routinely log in to review transactions so any suspicious withdrawals are caught early.
- Set up account alerts – Many banks let you set custom notifications for certain types of account activity.
- Use ATMs safely – Be vigilant against card skimmers and hidden cameras that steal ATM card information. Use well-known ATMs that are tamper-proof.
- Be discreet – Shield your PIN entry from prying eyes when using ATMs and make sure no one is shoulder surfing.
- Don’t share card details – Never give your card number, CVV, PIN or other info to untrustworthy sources that may misuse it.
- Use online banking securely – Make sure you use a secure internet connection and URL when accessing your account online.
- Check your statements – Thoroughly review your printed and online account statements for any errors right away.
- Set low withdrawal limits – You can call GTBank to set a low maximum daily or monthly ATM withdrawal limit for an extra layer of protection.
Staying vigilant about protecting your card and account information makes unauthorized ATM withdrawals much less likely.
What to Do If Your Card is Blocked
If you find your GTBank ATM card was blocked unexpectedly, here are the steps to take:
- Call customer service – Contact GTBank to find out why the card was blocked in the first place. They will verify your identity and details.
- Identify unauthorized charges – While on the call, let the agent know about any charges or withdrawals you don’t recognize so holds or refunds can be issued.
- Request new card – Most likely GTBank will reissue you a replacement ATM card with a new number for enhanced security.
- Update recurring billing – If you have any recurring payments or subscriptions on the blocked card, be sure to update the card details on those accounts.
- Reset online banking – You may need to update your card number within GTBank’s online banking system to access your new card there.
- Check eligibility for refund – Depending on why the unauthorized activity occurred, you may be eligible for an account refund from the fraud claims process.
- Increase account security – Take extra measures like changing your PIN, strengthening your online banking passwords, enabling two-factor authentication, and being more vigilant going forward.
Getting ahead of a blocked card situation quickly can minimize disruptions from the card not working when you need it. Be proactive by contacting the bank right away.
FAQ’s about Blocking GTBank ATM Card
Here are answers to some frequently asked questions about blocking a GTBank ATM card:
How long does it take to block my GTBank ATM card?
Blocking your card via the GTBank mobile app or USSD happens instantly in real time. Calling customer service blocks it immediately as well once the agent processes the request.
Can I unblock my card after blocking it?
Yes, you can unblock your ATM card by calling GTBank customer service once the concerns leading to blocking are resolved, for instance, if a lost card is found.
Does blocking my card cancel it?
Blocking a card does not permanently cancel it. But for lost, stolen or highly compromised cards, GTBank will cancel the old card and issue a replacement.
What happens if I enter the wrong details while blocking my card?
If you enter incorrect information like card number or PIN while attempting to block the card through mobile or USSD, it will not go through. You will have to start over and carefully enter the proper details for it to work.
How do I get emergency cash if my card is blocked?
If you need emergency cash when your card is suddenly blocked, you can visit a GTBank branch and withdraw funds in person over the counter by providing ID. They can give temporary emergency access.
How can I check if my card block request went through?
To confirm your card was successfully blocked, you will get an SMS message when using mobile or USSD. Calling customer service, the agent will verbally confirm it is blocked before hanging up.
How do I get a new GTBank ATM card after blocking the old one?
Visit any GTBank branch in person with photo ID and a passport photo to request a replacement for a blocked card. The bank will issue you a new ATM card with a different card number.
Having your ATM card suddenly blocked can cause headaches, but following the proper protocols to swiftly block a compromised, lost or stolen card can greatly limit your liability. GTBank makes it fast and simple to block your card through mobile app, USSD, or customer service call. Be vigilant with your card usage, routinely check your account activity, and don’t hesitate to block your card if anything seems off. With the above tips, you can have confidence knowing what to do if you ever need to block your GTBank ATM card.