Having your ATM card blocked can provide peace of mind if it becomes lost or stolen. Access Bank makes it easy to block your ATM card through a few different methods. This comprehensive guide will explain the different ways to block your Access Bank ATM card.
Access Bank is one of the leading banks in Nigeria with millions of customers. As an Access Bank customer, you likely have an ATM card associated with your account. This card gives you convenient access to withdraw cash from ATMs and make purchases.
However, there may come a time when you need to quickly block your Access Bank ATM card. Reasons for blocking your card include it becoming lost or stolen, fraud protection if you notice suspicious charges, and general security if you will not be using your card for an extended period.
Fortunately, Access Bank offers three easy methods to quickly block your ATM card:
- Using the USSD code
- Through the Access Bank mobile app
- By calling the customer care line
This article will explore each of these options in-depth. We’ll outline the step-by-step instructions, so you can easily block your Access Bank ATM card through your preferred method. Let’s get started!
Reasons to Block Your ATM Card
There are a few common reasons you may need to block your Access Bank ATM card:
- Lost or stolen card – If you lose your wallet, purse, or misplace your ATM card, immediately blocking it prevents fraudulent charges.
- Suspected fraud – If you notice unauthorized or suspicious transactions on your account, blocking your card secures it while you sort things out.
- Long period of disuse – Planning an extended trip abroad for many months? Blocking your card adds security until you need it again.
- Expired card – When your ATM card expires and you receive a new one, blocking the expired card prevents confusion and fraud.
- Damaged card – If your ATM card becomes damaged or demagnetized, blocking it ensures no one can use it while waiting for a replacement.
Blocking your ATM card as a precaution is always advisable in these situations to reduce the risk of fraudulent use of your card or associated account. It takes just minutes to block your card through Access Bank’s systems.
Block Your Access Bank ATM Card via USSD
One easy way to quickly block your Access Bank ATM card is by using USSD. USSD stands for “Unstructured Supplementary Service Data” and is sometimes referred to as “Quick Codes”.
Access Bank’s USSD code to block an ATM card is straightforward to use:
- On your mobile phone, dial *901*911# – the Access Bank USSD code to block your ATM card
- Enter your ATM card number when prompted
- Follow the additional prompts to complete the card blocking process
- You will receive a confirmation message that your Access Bank ATM card has been blocked successfully via USSD.
The great thing about using Access Bank’s USSD platform is that it works on any GSM network and does not require internet access or data. As long as you have phone service, you can block your ATM card in just a minute or two with this method.
Block Your Access Bank ATM Card via Mobile App
The Access Bank mobile app provides another fast way to block your ATM card right from your phone. Here is the process:
- Download the latest Access Bank mobile app on your Android or iOS phone
- Open the app and log into your account using your credentials
- From the home screen, choose “Self Service”
- Select “Block My Card” from the Self Service options
- Choose whether to block your debit or credit card
- Enter the last 4 digits of your ATM card number
- Confirm you want to block your ATM card
- You will receive confirmation that your card has been blocked via the Access Bank mobile app
Using the mobile app to block your ATM card is incredibly convenient, especially if you already have the app installed. With just a few taps, you can securely block your card within the app in just a few seconds.
Block Your Access Bank ATM Card by Calling Customer Care
You can also block your Access Bank ATM card by calling their customer care line directly and speaking with a customer service agent.
To block your ATM card via the customer care line:
- Call 0700 300 0000 – the Access Bank Nigeria customer care line
- Select the menu option for “Blocking your card”
- Enter your ATM card details when prompted
- Confirm the card blocking with the agent
- Take note of the ticket or reference number for your records
Though not as fast as the mobile app or USSD options, calling the customer care line allows you to speak directly with an agent to block your card. This can provide additional peace of mind by handling the card blocking process personally over the phone.
Unblocking Your Access Bank ATM Card
In most cases, you’ll want to unblock your Access Bank ATM card once the reason for blocking it is resolved. For example, after receiving your replacement card when your previous card expired or was damaged.
To unblock your ATM card with Access Bank:
- Visit an Access Bank branch with valid ID
- Call customer care and request your card be unblocked
- Send an email to access bank from your registered email
An Access Bank agent will then unblock your card in 1-3 business days after verifying your request. This allows you to continue using your ATM card normally.
Of course, if your card was blocked due to loss, theft or counterfeiting, you will need to request a replacement card rather than unblocking that compromised card.
Protect Yourself from ATM Card Fraud
Beyond knowing how to quickly block your Access Bank ATM card, it’s also important to take preventative measures to protect yourself from card fraud:
- Check statements regularly – Review your account statement each month to look for any unauthorized transactions
- Set transaction alerts – Many banks allow you to set mobile alerts for all card transactions so you can monitor activity
- Avoid sketchy ATMs – Only use reputable ATMs that are in well-lit, public locations to avoid card skimmers
- Do not share PIN – Never share your ATM card PIN with anyone, and shield the keypad when entering your PIN
- Report lost/stolen cards immediately – Call your bank right away if your physical card is lost or stolen
- Beware of scams – Do not click links in emails/texts requesting your card details which may be a phishing scam
Staying vigilant against ATM card fraud ensures you can catch unauthorized activity quickly by blocking your card and alerting your bank promptly.
Frequently Asked Questions
What happens when I block my Access Bank ATM card?
Blocking your Access Bank ATM card prevents any withdrawals or transactions on the card. Any recurring payments like subscriptions may be declined. You will need to unblock the card later to resume using it.
How long does it take to block my card via the app?
Blocking your ATM card via the Access Bank mobile app takes just seconds. You will receive instant confirmation that your card has been blocked.
Is there a fee to block my ATM card?
No, Access Bank does not charge any fee to block or unblock your ATM card through any available method. It is free to block as a security measure.
I lost my ATM card. Should I block it or request a new one?
If your physical card is lost, stolen or compromised in any way, it is best to block it then request for a replacement.
Can I still use mobile/web banking if my ATM card is blocked?
Yes, blocking your ATM card only affects transactions on the physical card. You can still access mobile and online banking using your login credentials as normal.
Having the ability to quickly block your Access Bank ATM card is an important security feature. Whether due to loss, theft, fraud concerns or an upcoming long trip, blocking your card is easy using the USSD code, mobile app, or customer service line. This guide outlined step-by-step instructions to block your card via each method.
Remember to regularly check your account statements and enable transaction alerts. If you notice any unauthorized activity, immediately block your card and notify the bank. Protecting yourself from ATM card fraud starts with staying vigilant and knowing how to block your card swiftly with Access Bank.
Finally, don’t forget to unblock your card later once your situation is resolved! A blocked ATM card prevents any transactions, so unblocking restores your access once the card is recovered or replaced.